In what will probably be his last appearance on any talk show, least of all Letterman, Joaquin Phoenix mumbled, stumbled, and otherwise embarassed himself on national television a couple of nights ago. If you haven’t seen the clip from The Late Show yet (seriously where have you been) here it is. A tremendous actor in his own right, Phoenix is famous for roles in Walk the Line, Signs and Gladiator. He is indeed a talented young actor who apparently is quitting acting to start a hip-hop career. While watching the painful 9 minutes a second time, I wondered:
- Is he seriously stoned, drunk or otherwise inebriated?
- Is it possible he has an undiagnosed mental disorder?
- Is he a method actor planning for the role of Ted Kaczynski
- Was this a brilliant put-on to poke fun at Dave?
Some of the weirdest bits:
- Phoenix sticking his gum to Dave’s desk
- Phoenix interested in Dave’s injured thumb cuticle
- Phoenix swearing at Paul Schaeffer for laughing at him
- The audience nervously laughing at everything
- “What do you have them on? What do you gas them up with?”
- “Joaquin, I’m sorry you couldn’t be here tonight.”
- “We owe an apology to Farrah Fawcett.”
Remember his older brother River? A talented actor as well, River left this Earth early after a massive heroin overdose. Hopefully it doesn’t run in the family…